I enjoyed the original reboot, 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” so I was anxiously waiting for the sequel, “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.” How did director Matt Reeves (“Cloverfield,” “Let Me In”) do by taking the reins from original helmer Rupert Wyatt? And is the sequel better than the original? Find out in my movie review of “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.”
A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species. (c) Fox
Cast (from Wikipedia)
• Jason Clarke as Malcolm, a survivor of the ALZ-113 virus who, along with a small group of other survivors, forms a strong bond with the apes and Caesar.
• Gary Oldman as Dreyfus, the leader of the surviving humans who wants to kill all the apes and get "revenge" for the deaths of his wife and two sons from the virus.
• Keri Russell as Ellie, a former nurse with the CDC and survivor of the virus. She is Malcolm's second wife, Alexander's step-mother and knows the virus wasn't caused by the apes.
• Kodi Smit-McPhee as Alexander, Malcolm's teenage son.
• Jocko Sims as Werner, an ally of Dreyfus.
• Kirk Acevedo as Carver, a member of Malcolm's group. He has an attitude problem and a strong hatred for apes.
• Enrique Murciano as Kempt, a member of Malcolm's group.
• Kevin Rankin as McVeigh
• Keir O'Donnell as Finney
• Andy Serkis as Caesar, a common chimpanzee who is the leader of the apes, king of the ape colony, husband of Cornelia, and father of River and an infant son. He is also the honorary uncle of Rocket's son, Ash.
• Judy Greer as Cornelia, Caesar's wife, mother of River and a newborn son, and honorary aunt of Ash.
• Terry Notary as Rocket, a common chimpanzee who is Caesar's second-in-command and one of his most trusted friends. Because of this, he is Caesar's children's honorary uncle.
• Karin Konoval as Maurice, Caesar's Bornean orangutan third-in-command and member of the ape council who gets captured and held hostage by Koba.
• Toby Kebbell as Koba, Caesar's ruthless bonobo adviser who believes his leader is too affectionate towards humans.
• Doc Shaw as Ash, Rocket's teenage son, Caesar and Cornelia's honorary nephew, and River's best friend and honorary cousin.
• Nick Thurston as River, Caesar and Cornelia's teenage son, honorary nephew of Rocket, and honorary cousin and best friend of Ash.
[ 2 comments ] ( 122 views ) | permalink | ( 2.9 / 523 )
So come Oscar time, we may hear, Angelina Jolie BEST DIRECTOR! That's right, the "Maleficent" actress made a follow-up to her "In the Land of Blood and Honey" with "Unbroken," the true story of Olympic track star Louis Zamperini who enlisted in World War II and ended up being a prisoner of war by the Japanese. This one's based on Laura Hillenbrand with musch by Alexandre Desplat.
Yup, it has Oscar written all over it complete with a script from the Coen brothers!
Jack O'Connell plays Zamperini and joining him are Garrett Hedlund, Jai Courtney, and Domhnall Gleeson.
"Unbroken" opens on the Oscar-friendly date of...Christmas Day!
Take a look at the trailer for "Unbroken" below:
[ 1 comment ] ( 171 views ) | permalink | ( 2.9 / 698 )
I love the last "Hunger Games: Catching Fire" and I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing "Mockingjay Part 1!" It's the revolution! Take a look at the new teaser-trailer showing President Snow (Donald Sutherland) addressing Panem with Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) and Johanna Mason (Jena Malone) by his side! It's all about propaganda! But then...Beetee aka Jeffrey Wright shows up and says, "The mockingjay lives!" Hurray!
We'll all see the mockingjay live on Nov. 21!
[ 1 comment ] ( 144 views ) | permalink | ( 2.9 / 532 )
Finally, the first trailer for Ridley Scott's "Exodus: Gods and Kings" is here, and boy oh boy, it promises to be epic! Like Cecil B. DeMille epic! Like a gargantuan "Gladiator!"
Take a look at the Red Sea parting! Listen to the cover of Simple Minds' "Belfast Child!" It's all glorious!
The film brings back to mind Darren Aronofsky's "Noah," but then again, did anyone see the movie? Hopefully, "Exodus" will not suffer the same fate so have faith all ye heathen!
In this adaptation, Christian Bale stars as Moses who dukes it out with Pharaoh Ramses (Joel Edgerton barely recognizable) so he can free the slaves and escape Egypt's plagues. So "Ten Commandments" here we come! But, according to Bale, there will be shocking stuff so Scott and company may be a bit liberal in adding or subtracting passages from the bible. Yup, just like "Noah."
I wonder how they will explain the parting of the Red Sea? Environment aka Global Warming perhaps?
Regardless, I still can't wait to see the movie when it opens in theaters on December 12, just in time for Oscar consideration!
"Exodus: Gods and Kings" also stars Aaron Paul, Ben Kingsley, John Turturro, and Sigourney Weaver.
[ 1 comment ] ( 137 views ) | permalink | ( 3.1 / 563 )
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" Emma Lazarus' "New Colossus." JULY IV MDCCLXXVI
Have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend because baby, you're a firework! Be safe but have fun always!!!
Now let me shine a light on you so you can find your way
[ 1 comment ] ( 105 views ) | permalink | ( 3 / 576 )