From dramas to musicals, 2016 was a year of great filmmaking. Movies that provoked our thoughts, hopes, and dreams. Here are my Top 10 Best Movies of 2016:
Runners-Up (in no particular order):
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“O.J.: Made in America”
“Love & Friendship”
“Captain America: Civil War”
The Worst (In no particular order):
"Gods of Egypt" -- If I don’t see Gerard Butler in a toga again, I’ll be fine (I can't believe I just said that )! This dead, lifeless take on Egyptian mythology is forgettable and laughable!
"The Huntstman: Winter’s War" -- It wasted the talents (Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt pretty much overacted), and Chris Hemsworth, brooding and boring! This "Frozen" wannabe suffers from bad, really bad script!
"Independence Day: Resurgence" -- So bad, even Will Smith said no! This sequel died 5 minutes into the movie.
Speaking of Will Smith, how about "Suicide Squad?" It's a movie with so much promise, but failed miserably because of the studio perhaps, because of the director David Ayer perhaps? I was hoping for a good action film but I got a somewhat unfinished movie! Yup, the film feels unfinished, unpolished, and over-hyped and over-marketed!
"War Craft" -- The convoluted video game movie comes alive, and died on the spot! The videogame curse continues...
[ add comment ] ( 2 views ) | permalink | related link | ( 3 / 351 )
Here is the full list of winners of the 2016 Utah Film Critics Awards:
• Best Picture: "La La Land"; runner-up: "Moonlight."
• Directing: Barry Jenkins, "Moonlight"; runner-up, Damien Chazelle, "La La Land."
• Lead Actor, Male: Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"; runner-up: Joel Edgerton, "Loving."
• Lead Actor, Female: Emma Stone, "La La Land"; runner-up: Ruth Negga, "Loving."
• Supporting Actor, Female: Viola Davis, "Fences"; runners-up: (tie) Naomie Harris, "Moonlight," Michelle Williams, "Manchester by the Sea."
• Supporting Actor, Male: (tie) Mahershala Ali, "Moonlight," John Goodman, "10 Cloverfield Lane."
• Original Screenplay: Taylor Sheridan, "Hell or High Water"; runner-up: Kenneth Lonergan, "Manchester by the Sea."
• Adapted Screenplay: Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney, "Moonlight"; runner-up: Eric Heisserer, "Arrival."
• Cinematography: Linus Sandgren, "La La Land"; runner-up: Bradford Young, "Arrival."
• Original Score: Justin Hurwitz, "La La Land"; runner-up: Johann Johannsson, "Arrival."
• Documentary Feature: "Cameraperson"; runner-up: "Weiner."
• Animated Feature: "Kubo and the Two Strings"; runners-up: (tie) "Moana" and "Zootopia."
• Non-English Language Film: "The Handmaiden" (South Korea); runners-up: (tie) "Elle" (France) and "Toni Erdmann" (Germany).
[ add comment ] ( 2 views ) | permalink | related link | ( 3 / 144 )
Winners of the 2016 Kansas City Film Critics' Circle Awards:
BEST PICTURE: Manchester by the Sea
ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTOR: Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea
BEST ACTOR: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
BEST ACTRESS: Natalie Portman, Jackie
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: (tie) Naomie Harris, Moonlight and Viola Davis, Fences
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Taylor Sheridan, Hell or High Water
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Eric Heisserer, Arrival
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Zootopia
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: The Handmaiden (South Korea)
BEST DOCUMENTARY: OJ: Made in America
VINCE KOEHLER AWARD FOR BEST SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY or HORROR FILM: Arrival
TOM POE AWARD FOR BEST LGBT FILM: Moonlight
[ add comment ] ( 2 views ) | permalink | related link | ( 2.9 / 217 )
Here's the complete list of winners of the 2016 St. Louis Film Critic Association Awards:
Best Film: La La Land
Best Director: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
Best Actor: Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
Best Actress: Isabelle Huppert - Elle
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali - Moonlight
Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis - Fences
Best Original Screenplay: Hell or High Water - Taylor Sheridan
Best Adapted Screenplay: Love and Friendship - Whit Stillman (Screenplay); Jane Austen (Novel)
Best Editing: Jackie - Sebastián Sepúlveda
Best Cinematography: La La Land - Linus Sandgren
Best Production Design: The Handmaiden - Seong-hie Ryu
Best Visual Effects: The Jungle Book
Best Music Score: La La Land - Justin Herwitz
Best Soundtrack: Sing Street
Best Song: "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" - La La Land
Best Action Film: Captain America: Civil War
Best Animated Feature: Zootopia
Best Comedy: Hail, Caesar!
Best Documentary Feature: I Am Not Your Negro
Best Foreign Language Film: Elle
Best Horror / Science-Fiction Film: The Witch
Best Scene: La La Land - Opening dance number, "Another Day of Sun."
[ add comment ] ( 4 views ) | permalink | related link | ( 3 / 219 )
Here's the complete list of winners of the Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards:
La La Land
Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea
Natalie Portman – Jackie
Best Supporting Actor
Michael Shannon – Nocturnal Animals
Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis – Fences
La La Land
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Original Screenplay
La La Land
La La Land
Best Film Editing
La La Land
City of Stars – La La Land
Best Action Film
Captain America: Civil War
OJ Simpson Made in America
Best Animated Film
Kubo and the Two Strings
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Art Direction
La La Land
Best Visual Effects
[ add comment ] ( 2 views ) | permalink | related link | ( 3 / 174 )